Monday, May 31, 2010

Lip Balm Marathon Review #1

Due to my easily chapped lips, I have tried many (I repeat many) lip balms available on the market.  Some of them were instant rejects and some being loved.  So here I am, thinking I should try to blog about the loved and hated lip balms out there.

I'm not a lip gloss nor lip stick person as my lips are usually in serious crisis year round.  Therefore, I'm speaking to those who really NEED the care of  a good lip balm.  For the girls that are blessed with perfect juicy lips, what I found to be cons probably won't apply to you.

To start off, I'll list some of my favorite and more effective balms...not in order of preferrence.  Most of these are between cdn $3-5 at the drug stores. 

 1. Aveeno Intense Relief Therapy lip protectant (medicated)
my holy grail~
  • In my opinion, this is the most effective and soothing drugstore lip balm out there in the Canadian market.  If you have severe chapped lips, you should definitely try this out.  Whenever I use this, it can easily restore my poor chapped lips and stop it from continuous peeling.  This is an essential lip balm for me during winter term.  Will suffer without it...literally.
     
  • Pros: 
    • Gives a soothing minty feel that can calm irritated and chapped skins 
    • Restores chapped skins not instantly but within days
    • Prevents lips from further chapping
    • Not heavy or sticky.  Glide on lips easily.
    • No strong smell.  At most, a faint minty aroma.
    • Comes in two types of containers: stick and tube.  Although I rarely see the tubes in store anymore. 
  • Rumour has it being discontinued. I had trouble spotting them in drug stores for awhile but they came back in stock with slight different packaging.  Hence I'm not sure what's going on.
  • Score: 5/5

2. Burt's Bees Replenishing lip balm with pomegranate oil
  • Product Info
    • 4.25g
    • Ingredients: sunflower seed oil, beeswax, coconut oil, castor seed oil, lanolin, flavor, pomegranate oil,tocophenrol, rosemary leaf extract, soybean oil, canola oil, carmine.
  • Pros
    • 100% natural and not tested on animals
    • light fruity (pomegranate?) smell
    • light pigmented lip balm but didn't show up much on my lips
  • Cons
    • hydrating but not as effective on healing severely chapped lips
  • Score: 3.5/5

3. Aveeno Essential Moisture Lip conditioner SPF 15
  • 4.2g per stick
  • Pros:
    • hydrates lips well
    • Protects lips against harmful UV rays
    • Creamy and glides on lips nicely
    • Comes in two types of containers: stick and tube.  Although I rarely see the tubes in store anymore.
  • Cons:
    • Doesn't really heal severely chipped lips
    • No soothing feeling
  • Score: 4/5

4. Mentholatum Water Lip (lemon flavour)
  • I got this lip balm during my 5-day Japan tour trip during New Year.  As a side note, it was the first trip I took alone with my 7-year boyfriend!  Since I can't read Japanese, I was picking out some lip balms mostly based on the packaging.  However, this was actually one of the products recommended by one of the tour group members.  I was loving it a lot while I was in Taiwan but recently I began to loose interest again.  In fact, I am starting to dislike it a little.  I don't understand why!  Change of season?
  • Pros: 
    • Natural lemon smell (can't stand artificial fruit smell).
    • Cute design on the package
  • Cons
    • I can't explain well but lately it feels like water was coming out from the balm after I applied it to my lips.  Although the balm itself was not liquidy, the consistency was definitely different than any other lip balms I've tried.  Not creamy enough to give me a solid feel.
  • Score: 3.5/5

5. Burt's Bees Sun-Protecting Lip Balm With Passion fruit SPF 8
  • Although I didn't test this lip balm extensively, it definitely was appealing to me.  My sister took this from me before I can love it more.  ^________^  From my very brief ownership, I was definitely loving it.  It has a very yummy passon fruit smell and a bit sun protection.  
  • Score: 4/5
6. Lypsyl LypMoisturizer, Honey Berry Flavour
  • This is my go-to lip balm when I ran out of the Aveeno intense relief therapy.  Almost as effective in healing chapped lips when comparing to Aveeno Intense Relief Therapy.  However it is not as soothing as there is no minty/cooling feeling.  I like how it has beeswax in it.
  • I have also tried the original flavour.  Between the honey berry and original (unscented), I prefer the honey berry ones.  The unscented balm has a bland and tasteless feeling.  The waxy texture becomes very noticeable and slightly uncomfortable without any scent.  Even though I usually can't take fruity sweet lip products, the honey berry lip balm is only lightly scented and surpringly pleasant.  Definitely would recommend this lip balm.  For guys, the original flavour might be more suitable.  Btw, it comes in two types of containers: stick and tube as well.
  • I have used up several of these lip moisturizers already.  Thumb up!
  • Score: 4.5/5

7. Sally Hansen Comfort Shine Lip Gloss
  • Note: have not tested for effective in healing already-damaged lips.
  • I found these at Dollar Giants for $1.25 and grabbed two flavours: Mixed berry and Strawberry.  I have smelt both but only tried on the Mixed Berry one.  You have to twist open the cap and pull out the applicator from the gloss to apply.  I am worried that reaching the products near the walls and bottoms of the jar will be tricky. 
  • Pros:
    • According to the product info, this gloss also act as a lip balm.
    • Hydrates lips well and prevents chapped lips. 
    • Glossy and pigmentation did not show up against my pink lips
    • Chick looking jar.  The color of the gloss looks really yummy. 
  • Cons: 
    • Very strong sweet fruity smells. 
    • Sticky.  Captures my hairs, which I find quite annoying~
    • A bit clumsy to use on the go: top edge of jar seems to have gloss leaking from no where.  Thank goodness the outer lid is keeping it away from getting into my bag. 
  • Score: 3/5

    No comments: