Thursday, June 17, 2010

Review: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist sunscreen SPF60

I noticed a lot of higher SPF sunscreens this year and Neutrogena was among the brands that are advertising for their high SPF sunscreens.  I purchased a bottle of body mist sunscreen instead of the traditional lotion type due to laziness.  ^____^  I can't emphasize the importance of protecting your skins from UV damage more.  Although tanned skins might portray you as a healthy outdoor gal, in reality, you are more prone to skin cancer than the non-tanned ladies.

Blogger Beautiful with Brains have talked a lot about sunscreen including some misconceptions.  Read up on these postings if you are interested:
Now, moving on to the review.  Note: I'm not a sporty gal.  I used these for walking between bus stops and places I go.
 
According to Neutrogena's website...
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen SPF 30, 45 and 60 provides broad-spectrum UV protection in an ultra light sheer mist. Stabilized with HELIOPLEX, it provides photostable broad-spectrum protection against UVA/UVB rays in an ultra-light, non-greasy finish. This weightless formula applies easily to even hard-to-reach areas. It is waterproof, sweatproof and resists running into eyes. This one-touch continuous spray works at any angle.  You CAN apply this sunscreen to face. 

Pro
  • Lots of product: 141g
  • Quick and easily sprayed over the body
  • "Fairly" light weight....IF you don't touch your skins afterward.
  • "Fairly" matte finish.  I wouldn't say this is 100% oil free.  It doesn't feel greasy but then it doesn't give you a fresh, completely dry feel either.    
  • waterproof + sweatproof. 
  • Offers high UV protection.  Bear in mind that the sun protection factor tells you how LONG the sunscreen can protect you.  Unless you are going under the sun for extended amount of time, You actually don't really need very high SPF.   
  • Bottle is really light for carrying around.  High quality packaging.  I like the feel of the bottle finish (ha~)
Cons
  • If you rub your skins, you will feel some resistent due to the sunscreen.  So to me, this is not 100% light weight.  At the end of the day, this feeling doesn't go away.  So you probably want to shower before you go to bed and not in the morning.  
  • The spray bottle is really wasteful.  I would say half of the sunscreen has landed somewhere other than on my skins.  Environmental polluting?  Plus, you might miss a spot without realizing. 
Score: 3.5 out of 5
I would recommend purchasing the lotion type if you want a full protection.  The spray version would definitely be useful for quick reapply during the day or when you are on the go.  I haven't try this sunscreen with makeup but I would not recommend it on face if you apply a lot of makeup.

2 comments:

Lisamarie and Christelle said...

One good thing about spray on sunscreen, if you are running out the door at the last minute and realize you forgot to put some on, it's very quick! But you are right, the spray does seem to go everywhere and you waste a lot!

Best, Lisamarie

moonRabbit said...

Hi Lisamarie,

That is exactly what I often do before I dash out the door. Btw, yeah to the first comment of my blog!