Thursday, July 29, 2010

Review: Gatsby Oil Clear Sheet...Let's blot those oil away~

If you have oily or combination skin, you definitely want to look into blotting paper/sheets.  Of all the ones I've tried, I have to say Gatsby makes the BEST ones out there.  Their classic oil absorbing blotting sheets (official name: Oil Clear Sheet) are amazing, effective and heavy duty.  Yes you heard me.  Heavy duty!  




What Gatsby website says...
  • Unique film with advanced micro holes for powerful absorption of facial oil. Matte and cleans skin without stickiness
  • Micro holes on surface of the film adsorbs sebum and user can actually feel the effect. 
  • Soft touch, tear resistant and palm size (9cmx6cm) soft film.
  • 70 sheets per pack.
What I like about them...
  • Soft to the touch
  • do NOT break when using...you can TuG and PuLL on it.  
  • Quickly absorbs oil like no other
  • You can clearly see the oil which turns the film transparent
  • Remove oil without drying your face
Available in Asia or online.  Made in Japan.  Costs about Cdn $3 in Taiwan and on eBay.  North America stores (Pacific Mall) sell them for Cdn$6.  I usually use one in the afternoon.  My face feels clean and refresh after.

Photo of a (kind of beat up) single pack

Inside cover shows how you can easily remove a single blotting sheet with the adhesive tape.  I just finished the last sheet so the container is empty.  ^__^ 


Gatsby In Action...

Here is a pretty gruesome photo showing how effective this blotting paper is.
Warning: view at your own discretion.  It's kind of GROSS....ha 

Would you want this much oil on your face?
ps. I purposedly made this blue sheet super transparent.  My face usually doesn't give off this much oil 

Notice how the blue sheet became shiny and transparent that you can actually see through it?  With this, you will definitely see the oil that the blotting sheet absorbed.  Most other blotting paper barely showed a difference.  Not sure if I'm the only one but I used to have to look at the paper in different angle to see if it really worked.  With Gatsby, you WILL see it.

On a side note...
Here are the photos of a NEW pack I just opened.  I was beyond surprised by the color.  Instead of the traditional blue sheets, I saw GRAY.  What's up with the color change?  The weird thing is I bought 2 packs together this January in Japan.  The first package contains blue sheets and the 2nd one gray?  Interesting...


To find out why, I took the plastic package to my friend who's an expert in Japanese.  I learnt that the package did mention newly developed black film.  However, I'm not sure what else is different other than the color.  Although the package did say "newly developed," after trying the mysterious gray sheets, I found them to work and feel exactly like their blue siblings.  Sigh...I like the blue color though. 

Score: 5 out of 5

Overall: Definitely recommend for anyone who suffers from oily face and T zone.  A MUST for summer time to remove excess oil from your face.  This can lift the oil and leave your makeup intact (if you pat your face instead of wiping it).  

There is another dry blotting sheet made by Gatsby which is powdered.  Will do a review for that soon.

2 comments:

Jacky Chung said...

Hi.Will it cause breakouts?

moonRabbit said...

@Jacky: Since the film absorbs what's on your face, I don't think it will cause breakouts. However if you have sensitive skin, you might want to try it out on a small part of your skin.