Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Philips Satinelle Ice Premium Epilator HP6517 Review


I got this epilator from the Shin Kong Mitukshi (新光三越) department store in Taipei. It was the latest model at the time so the price is pretty expensive (NT $4000 = around Cdn $130).  This is probably the proudest purchase that I made while I was in Taiwan this January. I have been eying Philips epilators for awhile, hoping to find the solution to a concern of us ladies...hair & more hair! For some reason, the concept of epilators isn't very popular in Canada so I have the hardest time finding a good one in store.  I didn't want to give in to a simpler model that I can get in local Zellers or Walmart.  So I waited and waited. At last~

Why HP6517 is good? Is it true?  For HP6517, Philips claims that it...
  • can remove hair as short as 0.5 mm.  From my experience, this depends on where you use it (i.e shape and bumpiness of the skins).  My main area of usage: underarm and legs.  REvmoal of leg hairs are amazing and very easy.  A few runs through the same area will do the trick.  However, for underarm, it can be tricky.  I always ended up having to revert back to tweezer for a few stubborn hair. 
  • keeps your skin smooth for up to four weeks and regrowth is soft and downy.  This varies with the growth rate of each person!  I had to epilate underarm every few days (at most a week apart). 
  • contain sonic massage head which tenderly stimulates the skin reducing the pulling sensation to the minimum and making the whole epilation process more comfortable. See pic: small darker purple part near the rotating disc.  For the hard to epilate areas like underarm, I think the massaging head brushes through the hair so they stand up more.  It helps subsequent epilation a little.   
  • Ceramic discs: more discs than previous models.  However, you still have to go through the same area a few times to get rid of all hair.   
  • Premium ice cooler gives soothing properties of ice to cool & relieve your skin while epilating.  I'm so used to waxing and tweezer hair removal prior to my epilator experience, as a result, I never use the cooler to sooth my skins. 

Pros
  • Epilator pulls out hair by its root so no blackhead until the hair grows back. 
  • Very easy to use.  Switch on and GO~ 
  • Fast procedure.  Comparing to lengthy and messy waxing, epilation is QUICK.  Yes you might have to go through the same area several times, it is still much FASTER!
  • washable epilation head and come with a little brush
  • Rechargeable & wireless: each charge lasts 20 minutes.  Each epilation lasts only a few minutes so you don't actually charge often.
  • Soothing cooler
  • Extra sensitive area cap (to reduce epilating surface for underarm)
  • not as painful as waxy, which remove more hair at once.
  • No chemical applied to skins  
  • No shaving cream needed.  Used on dry skins. 
  • Good investment in the long run...for example,
    • waxing: say $15/jar and you use minimum 2 jar a year = $30 a year.  After 4 years, you could have bought the most advanced epilator out there.  Your epilator will last many many years. 
    • hair removal cream: $7/bottle....you do the math.  Not to mention the harmful chemical you are applying onto your skin
  • Travel friendly: light and slim design.
Cons
  • doesn't work well where skins aren't smooth
  • can lead to ingrown hair (lots of exfoliating needed to prevent this)
  • When hair grows back, you'll THEN notice the blackheads, which is unavoidable unless you do laser hair removal.  What can we do?  This pretty much comes with ANY mechanical removal method 
  • noise: a bit loud.  Can sound scary to some people. But not me. 
  • some hair might fly out during epilating. 
Score: 4/5

There are cheaper models from different companies out there in Canada.  I have spotted some in the $40-50 range.  Other than Philips, Braun is another company that seems to sell good epilators.  I am happy that I purchased this.

      No comments: